Tuesday 31 March 2015

1 April Club Ride - UPDATE - CHANGE OF ROUTE !!!

As the forecast is for heavy snow overnight on Kirkstone, I have completely changed the route to a much safer, though still hilly route.
We will still start at Grasmere (quarry car park, White Moss, NE side of A591) but head for Cartmel via Red Bank, East of Coniston Lake and Bigland Hill.
Our return will be via Newby Bridge, Rusland, Hawkshead, Wray and Clappersgate and back home Under Loughrigg. The total distance will be approx. 52 miles.
We can plan the stops on route to meet the needs of the group.
For once I am trying to be sensible!
Cathy.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know - any excuse to increase the mileage - sensible? - pah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should learn to look at the blog. Left home in a hurry and just made Grasmere by 9.30. No one there. Thought it must be a 10.00 start so went on to Ambleside for a coffee whilst I waited. Looked at the website on my phone (but not the blog) saw that the ride was for 9.30, so assuming you must be just ahead of me I whizzed up the Struggles and on to Glenridding in lovely blustery weather and a small amount of snow on the top. Down to Glenridding leaning on the front wheel in order to keep control in the strong wind. No one at the coffee stop. (Good job I had already had mine). Great ride along ullswater and onto a lovely stop at Threlkeld where I met a nice old guy with whom I discussed cycling and fishing. Back through Keswick and home by 2:00. A good but tough ride. Hope you enjoyed Red bank and Coniston. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, what a shame Peter! Keith and I said on the way up to Grasmere that you might be out and were hoping to see you. We parked slightly up the hill just up from the car park but I rode round the bottom car park at 9.30 but there was no on there so rode back up the lane and we didn't actually leave until about 9.37 as Lance was adjusting his seat. So sorry we missed you but at least you did the proper ride and no wimping out like us! Hope we'll see you soon, Cathy

    ReplyDelete